Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bites

There are certain days of the year that just seem like they are made for snacking all day long, no meals needed.  (Well, besides breakfast; some of you know how I get if I don't get a good breakfast.)  Christmas Eve, New Year's Day, Superbowl Sunday.  I first made these pretzel bites on New Year's and will be making them again tomorrow so we can snack on them while listening to the game on the radio.  I suggest you do the same (but feel free to watch on TV if you are able).

I think I came across the recipe because someone posted it to Pinterest which then showed up on my Facebook feed.  I do have a Pinterest account but I've only spent about 10 minutes on there looking for speechy work-related things because it is all a little overwhelming for me.  Anyway, the recipe is pretty easy if you are used to making yeast doughs and/or cinnamon rolls.  Even if you don't yet have those skills, go ahead and give it a try now because the result is definitely worth it. 

This time around HH suggested making the whole amount of dough, but only making half of it into the ham and cheese bites, and making the rest into regular soft pretzels.  That way we won't be so overwhelmed with the cheesy bites which, in my opinion, were only okay after reheating.  I think the regular soft pretzels might keep better over a few days time. 



HH is impressed with my proof box technique.

More Grand Champion hog!






After boiling for about 30 seconds each, they get puffed up.  Somehow I failed to get a picture of that process.


Brushing on melted butter to help the salt stick.


No comments:

Post a Comment