Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Black cod

When we visited NYC, JP make us some baked white fish for dinner one night.  LJ and I both looked at each other and said, "Why don't we eat this more often?"  I'm not really sure why we ignore white fish, but it probably has something to do with living in such a salmon friendly area, so that is always what is on my mind when I go to our favorite fish monger.

When we visited this time we had lots of options and settled on black cod, for no reason in particular (it was actually the most expensive fish they had so I'm really not sure why we ended up with it, I guess it just looked the best to my untrained eye).  It actually was unclear to me if we were purchasing black cod or sablefish, but from what I've read the terms are often used interchangeably.


I used some seasoned bread crumbs we had on hand to coat the top.  I baked the fish for 10 minutes at 400F and then broiled the fish for 3 minutes to get the top crispy.


I pulled the fish out just in time as few of the bread crumbs were just starting to turn black and the parchment paper was near smoking.


.
This fish has an interesting texture that might not be for everyone.  For a white fish it has a higher fat content and the flakes of fish are a little more buttery than your typical white fish.  It isn't bad, just something you should be aware of it if you are expecting something flakier.  We are looking forward to trying a few more fish types to see what we like best for white fish, though with Copper River salmon season coming up that plan may get derailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment