Monday, April 7, 2014

Miso gravy

After hearing that my favorite breakfast/brunch spot in Olympia was no longer going to be serving brunch I quickly went through the 5 stages of grief and ended up determined to recreate some of my favorite dishes that they serve.

One of my favorite things they do is a roasted seasonal vegetable hash that is topped with a poached egg and miso cashew gravy.  I decided to start simple and just make a miso gravy and skip the cashews, though I'm still on the lookout for a recipe for that.  I used this for recipe for the gravy.

Finding miso was a little more complicated than I expected, mostly because I had no idea what miso was when I wrote it on my grocery list.  We wandered around Winco for quite some time but had no idea where it would even be if they had it. We decided to try our favorite Asian market which is just up the street from Winco.  Once there I made two laps through the store and realized I still had no idea what I was looking for so I asked the older gentleman at the cash register where I could find "miso powder."  He looked at me kind of strange and then took me to an aisle and pointed at pretty much everything in the aisle and said, "This is all for instant miso."  He was pointing at different packets of what looked like instant soup mix (but I had no idea since I couldn't read the labeling on the package).  He then took me to a refrigerated aisle and pointed at a bunch of tubs of miso paste and said, "This is real miso."  I think he could tell I was overwhelmed so he walked away and let me ponder my choices.

The tubs were bigger then I expected but I figured I could try making miso soup and look up other things to use it in so I went with the tub and grabbed a block of tofu on the way out just to make it look like I knew what I was doing.

The process for making the gravy was pretty similar to sausage gravy which I have plenty of practice with so it was no trouble.  I roasted the potatoes in the oven for about 40 minutes and topped them with a runny fried egg.  Though it wasn't as good as the Quality Burrito version it was definitely good and something I'll continue to work on perfecting.







No comments:

Post a Comment