Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Popovers

One day I was making soup for dinner before HH got home.  It must have been a Friday when I didn't have any afternoon commitments and made it home by around 3:30.  I looked in the freezer and we didn't have any bread around, and bread is pretty much a necessity for me when eating soup.  I looked in HH's baking books for a quick bread recipe that could be made with all the ingredients we already had.  That didn't yield anything useful, so I turned to the interwebs which guided me to a popover recipe that I knew I could make with everything in our kitchen already. 

The recipe had me combine the milk and eggs and letting it sit for half an hour, which was a good time for me to make some squash bars (post to come).  After that, the dry ingredients and melted butter get mixed in to make a thin batter.  I had seen some other recipes that put cheese in the batter, so I threw in the leftover gruyere from the failed root vegetable gratin.





By then, HH came home and was able to snap a picture of me filling the greased muffin tins with the batter.  (You can buy a fancy popover maker, but that seems to be quite the unitasker, and Alton Brown would probably not approve.) 


I really liked how golden brown they were when they came out of the oven.  Though they didn't rise up as much as in the pictures the interwebs had shown me (probably due to my lack of the proper specialty device), you could tell that had risen quite a bit and even had a big hollow hole in the bottom to prove it.  They stuck a little to my pan so if I make them again I will need to do a better job of greasing the sides and bottom of each cup. 




They were really light in texture, and definitely tasted eggy and a little cheesy.  They went pretty well with the soup, and were best when eaten right away.  There were some leftover that we ate in the following days and they became a little rubbery, so next time I might only make half a batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment