Friday, June 8, 2012

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

I've mentioned in a number of previous posts that LJ and I  participated in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program last winter. Though we got more than our fill of winter squash we enjoyed the experience so much that we signed up for a summer CSA share that started this week.

A CSA allows you to pay a farm at the start of the growing season to help cover their start up costs.  In exchange, each week you get a pile of produce from the farm to enjoy.  With this arrangement you share the risk of crop failure with the farmer but you also get to enjoy any extra large bounties that year.

I enjoy the CSA experience because it encourages me to eat more vegetables and try a variety of new things.  I also like the idea that some of the food we are eating was grown within just a few miles of our house and we are supporting local farmers.

This was our first week for our summer CSA and my plan is to share a photo each week with the hope that I inspire a few people to either sign up for a CSA or check out what is fresh at their local farmers market.  The Local Harvest website is a great resource is you are looking for options near you.

In this week's CSA we received rhubarb, kale, lettuce, bok choy, and chard.  I'm hoping to find some strawberries this weekend at the farmers market to make a pie or jam with the rhubarb and we are going to be eating lots of salads this week with the rest of the greens.



No comments:

Post a Comment