Monday, June 18, 2012

Mojitos

Last weekend a good friend/birthday buddy came to visit for the weekend.  I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make mojitos using the nectarine liqueur my in-laws got me for my birthday.  Unfortunately, I found out that my friend isn't the biggest fan of rum.  But fortunately for me, she didn't want to finish her drink so I helped her out (like good friends do) by finishing it for her. 

To make the mojitos, we smooshed up lime wedges with sugar and fresh mint that we picked from the potted plant out on the patio.  We filled the glasses with ice, then added some rum, club soda, and the nectarine liqueur.  In the future, HH thinks it's important to make simple syrup (basically just simmering water and sugar until all the sugar dissolves) to use instead of straight sugar because it can settle in the bottom of the glass. 

 
I appreciated the sweet fruity flavor the liqueur added.  I love that you can tell it contains real bits of fruit as evidenced by the floaty bits in the bottle.  It was made at a little distillery in our hometown; I may be stopping in the next time we are in the area to sample some of their other flavors.


Cheers to birthday buddies!  (Next time I'll make sure not to make rum-based drinks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment