Thursday, May 9, 2013

Homemade cheese cave set-up

After I declared 2013 the Year of Cheese! I quickly realize I was going to need a set-up for aging some of the cheeses.  Most of the recipes I looked at called for aging cheese at a temperature of around 55 degrees Fahrenheit and around 90% humidity.  After doing some research some websites suggested a wine fridge because you can control both the temperature and humidity, but they can be spendy.

With some additional Googling I found there are a number of ways to create your own cheese cave.  I settled on this design.  The temperature control has been working well but I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the humidity up enough.  When I open the door to check on the cheese most of the moisture escapes.  I bought a weather station to monitor the conditions inside the fridge and the receiver sits right on top so I can see it right away.  Currently the cave is set up in our living room but I imagine LJ well want it hidden away somewhere else sooner or later.


No comments:

Post a Comment