Friday, May 10, 2013

How to Make Chocolate Mousse

On the back of a thank you card HH and I received for the Christmas aprons I sewed was a recipe for chocolate mousse, something that always sounds so delicious but that I don't think I've ever actually eaten before.  When Valentine's Day rolled around I figured it was the perfect time to give the recipe a try.  The ingredient list is very small, but there is kind of a lot of work that goes into it because you need to address each ingredient separately before gently mixing them all together in a certain order.




Weighing out the chocolate for precision.  In reality, I ended up using more than I was supposed to because that's how much chocolate we had.

Melting the chocolate in a double boiler.

Separating the whites from the yolks so they could be beaten separately.


The melted chocolate and egg yolks.
Mixing in the whipped cream.
Whipping the egg whites...

...into soft peaks.

Adding the egg whites, which look a bit like soap suds.

The finished mousse before getting chilled and devoured.

There was a little extra so I put it in a popsicle mold.  Unfortunately, it didn't set up and we ended up eating it with a spoon anyway.

Our Valentine's Day dinner: banana pancakes with whipped cream, apple cider syrup, and homemade bacon.  OMG it was all so delicious and we hadn't even had the mousse yet.

And for dessert was the scrumptious mousse.  It was rich and creamy and exactly what I imagined it should be like.  Definitely a keeper for special occasions, or, you know, whenever.

No comments:

Post a Comment