Thursday, July 5, 2012

Orzo

Somehow, several months ago, we ended up with a box of orzo pasta which I had never eaten before.  Not one to shy away from any type of pasta, I looked up a simple recipe and loved the results.  I can't remember the source of the recipe, but the author described it as "mac and cheese for grownups."  Although I have been known to devour an unhealthy amount (as in, the whole box) of Velveeta Shells and Cheese or Kraft Spirals with Velveeta mixed in, I must admit that this version is quite tasty and probably a bit healthier.  Orzo, a fine replacement for the classic comfort food of my youth, now has a permanent home in our new dry goods storage bins.

The orzo's home is on the right next to some rice
Add the orzo into a pan with some butter
Cook until the pasta gets brown
Cook for 15 minutes with some chicken or veggie stock until all the liquid is absorbed
Add some parmesan and basil and season with salt and pepper.  I think adding in some lemon juice would also be tasty.

We had our pasta for lunch with sauteed fava beans

No comments:

Post a Comment