Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake

This is one dessert that I can't let the summer go by without making.  I picked up half a flat of strawberries from a local farm and used this recipe (the biscuit one).  Since the in-laws were in town, they helped us eat some which is probably a good thing because otherwise I might have tried to convince HH to eat it for dinner.  Sadly, I failed to take a picture of the finished product; I guess I was too interested in devouring it.

The flour and butter mixture gets worked with a pastry cutter.

Note the FAT FREE half-and-half on the left.  I am incredulous about the existence of this product, which may explain why I have mistakenly purchased it on multiple occasions.  The fat is replaced by HFCS.

The cream mixture gets added to the flour and butter.

Mix until it just comes together.  Don't overwork it or the biscuits can become tough.

Measuring the depth with the bench scraper.

Preparing to refrigerate.

After refrigerating, almost ready to go into the oven.

Topped with cream and sugar before baking.
HH can't wait to get his hand on one as they come out of the oven.

Prepping the strawberries.

Add sugar to macerate, which helps to release some juice.

After they have been sitting with the sugar for a while. 
Not pictured is the homemade whipped cream, which is made by pouring heavy whipping cream into our KitchenAid mixer with a little vanilla and sugar.  The mixer does all the work; I just had to watch it to make sure the cream didn't get whipped too much and start to turn into butter.  I am not a fan of store-bought whipped cream, but the homemade stuff gets me every time.  I want to just hover over the bowl and eat it straight up with a big spoon.  But, as an integral ingredient in strawberry shortcake, I was able to restrain myself and make sure everyone got their fair share.

No comments:

Post a Comment