Monday, July 16, 2012

Pants for LJ...

...that actually fit!  Hoorah! I was a little intimidated to try to make pants for myself given how difficult it can be to fit all the curves and angles on a woman's body compared to a man's.  I have felt confident in making HH's pants for a while now, so I figured it was time to try it out for myself. 

A lot of women have a hard time finding pants that fit, and I am no exception.  Most pants have always been too big in the waist or too tight around my hips, but now I have a pattern I can use to just whip up my own whenever I want.  Okay, it's not as easy as that, but it's really not as hard as I was anticipating.  I think I got pretty lucky when I scored this pattern on Listia for free using the credits I got just for signing up. 



 When working with this pattern for the first time, I compared the measurements to this pair of pants that do fit me pretty well, to make sure I was on the right track, and I was for the most part.


I used a brown polyester that was in my "test stash" for when I need to test out a pattern before actually making the real deal, so I wasn't expecting these to look as nice as they do. There were a few adjustments to make for the second pair but nothing major. I will definitely be wearing these to work as long as the weather isn't too cold for my exposed ankles.







The second pair of pants from this pattern was made from a grey linen-y fabric, and I lined them to make sure there would be no see-through because I intended them to be more fitted than the first pair.  I had just enough fabric to make pedal pushers.  The fit is pretty good, though I always seem to have some extra fabric around the back of my legs.  I'm not sure if that's common or if it's just a quirk of my body. 




Regardless, I quite like both these pairs of pants and am glad I finally decided to go for it.  Some nice, warm wool pants are on the agenda for fall/winter.  HH doesn't get to have all the fun any longer. 


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Laura! I've just started sewing and I'm impressed with your pants. I agree that extra fabric around the back of the legs is common :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your sewing! Let me know if you have any questions, I know some pretty good resources.

    ReplyDelete