Monday, July 2, 2012

Beer mustard

From the title alone you would think this recipe would be a real winner but it left me disappointed.  The flavor seemed too bitter (from the casings of the mustard seeds I think) and it didn't have any real kick.  The process of making it was a lot of fun though so I'm going to keep an eye out for additional recipes with the hopes of finding a go to homemade mustard.

I picked up the mustard seeds from the spice market and a Negra Modelo from the fridge.  There were no recommendations on what type of beer to use so I went with something that I like to drink but that is also light and has a mild flavor because I didn't want it to overpower the finished product.





I initially tried to use our immersion blender to pulverize the mustard seeds but it sent the tiny seeds flying across the kitchen.  I settled for dumping everything in to the food processor and letting it run for a few minutes which really helped smooth out the mustard.


  



We ate it a couple of time with some brats but in all honesty half of the batch is still sitting in the fridge.  It might be better as a marinade on chicken or salmon but I didn't want to ruin a meal with it.  I wasn't happy with the level of bitterness and the lack of complex flavors.  I will keep you updated on future attempts at improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment