Monday, July 30, 2012

Seared Ahi Tuna

LJ was out of town this weekend visiting friends so I decided to make something that I really like but didn't think she would mind missing out on.

Since LJ took the car on her trip I pedaled my bicycle down to visit my favorite fish mongers and arrived right as the doors opened.  Arriving early at the fish market is necessary because popular items often sell out by mid-day and I knew from the email newsletter that the Ahi was on sale.

I explained to the man behind the counter (who I believe is also the owner, we aren't on a first name basis, yet) that I needed a piece just for me so he sliced one of the steaks in half, packed it in ice, and I was back on my bike pedaling home.

When I got home I realized I had forgotten something important for my ability to create a blog post.  LJ had taken our camera with her to capture the memories of catching up with old friends.  I debated my options as I poked around on Facebook and Twitter.  I could wait until LJ got home on Monday but I thought the fish would be best at it's freshest.  I then realized the answer to my problems was staring me in the face, literally.

When using high quality fresh tuna you really can eat it raw but I wasn't feeling that adventurous. I liberally seasoned each side with salt and pepper and then coated it in sesame seeds.  I heated my trusty cast iron pan on medium high heat with a coating of sesame oil until the pan was scorching hot and smoking.  I dropped the tuna in and seared each side for only a minute each.  After removing it from the pan I sliced the tuna thinly, served it over rice, and added some homemade sauce.

Now about not having a camera.  I realized our laptop has a built in web cam so I set it up to record the process.  It really isn't that interesting but since the fish cooks so quickly, if you have a few minutes feel free to watch.  You can really see how beautiful the rare tuna is.


No comments:

Post a Comment