Friday, August 10, 2012

Bratwurst

For awhile bratwurst were a staple in our house.  I prepared them so often that LJ eventually said, "I think I need a break from the brats for awhile."  I was disappointed because they are one of my favorite things to eat, but my arteries probably could use the break as well.

I've never made sausages of any kind from scratch (though I am tempted to learn) so this post isn't much of a tutorial.  I do think I have mastered the cooking of the bratwurst though, and it is worth sharing.

I simply put the bratwurst in my trusty cast iron pan over low heat, cover them, and let them cook for around an hour, flipping them every ten minutes so they cook evenly.  Your patience is rewarded with crisp casings and juicy insides.  If you get impatient and turn the heat up the casings will split and delicious bratwurst juice will drain out into the pan (believe me, I've gotten impatient a number of times and it isn't worth it to get your food quicker).

Caramelized onions are created with the same procedure and are an excellent thing to service with the brats. We usually eat them with a salad or lentils as well.  Our favorite meat market has a wide selection of brats that we've tried, but these mozzarella brats pictured below are our favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment