Monday, August 6, 2012

Cream of Scallion Soup

Those who know me well know my love of onions.  Legend has it that when I was a child, it was not uncommon for me to take a bite of an onion like it was an apple.  Though I am not likely to do such a thing these days, my love of onions is still very potent, sometimes to HH's chagrin.

When I saw a recipe in our big soup cookbook for a creamy green onion soup with potatoes and heavy cream, I knew it would be a perennial favorite of mine. I try to make this at least once every year, usually in the winter when soup is more comforting to eat, but this time around I was able to take advantage of the huge bunch of green onions we got in our CSA.

The scallions and yellow onion sauteing in butter.   Unlike the recipe I posted, I use the white and green parts of the scallions.

Blending with our awesome stick blender after the potatoes have been cooked.

Adding the cream.
Lemon seemed like an odd choice to me at first, but it is essential to the final flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment