Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Curried Greens

Our readers are probably tired of hearing about this, but eating up all the veggies from the week's CSA before the next week's comes is often a challenge for us.  On Tuesday evenings, HH and I are often scrambling to use as much of what's left as possible, which can lead to some ill-advised meals.  Like this one. 

In theory I thought it sounded pretty good.  I like curry.  I like coconut milk.  I like rice.  I liked the idea of using up the hardy greens in our fridge.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way this meal went very wrong.  The sauce was bland.  The greens (mustards, kale, red cabbage) were tough and bitter.  The onions, garlic, and snow peas were the only positives, and they were overwhelmed by the rest of the negatives. 

HH often encourages me to experiment in the kitchen, but I get discouraged when my experiments turn out this disappointing.  Maybe we needed some fresher curry powder.  Maybe I should have used more of it.  Maybe I have no idea how to correctly cook greens on the stovetop.  Regardless, this is not a meal that is likely to be repeated. 







No comments:

Post a Comment