Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Roasted Fennel

When we picked up out CSA last week I was surprised to see a bulb of fennel in our large haul of vegetables.  I spent this time last year volunteering on the farm and never remember seeing any fennel growing or being harvested so I'm not sure if I just wasn't observant enough or if this was a new growing experiment at the farm.

One of the best thing about being a CSA member has been being encouraged to try new vegetables.  Some things have been very pleasant surprises.  LJ and I have commented to each other a number of times recently that we can't wait for winter squash to come, though I also remember at the end of last winter we had had enough squash.  Other things we are still trying to find a good use for.  Since I'd never eaten or cooked fennel before I fell back to one of my standard rules:  When in doubt, roast it!

I used this basic recipe from Simply Recipes for my attempt.  The end results were a little disappointing.  The fennel seemed too stringy and difficult to eat while the inside didn't seem full cooked even though the edges were burnt and papery.

If we get another bulb I'll have to try this recipe next.





No comments:

Post a Comment