Monday, October 8, 2012

On weekends

Not that I'm complaining about being fully employed again (it has been nearly six months already) but I do miss having nearly unlimited time and very few commitments.  Obviously the blog writing has slowed but I've also been reading and exercising less.  I'm trying to rectify all three by doing a better job of being more efficient with my time.  This has meant taking advantage of the time in the morning (another perk of having a five minute walk to work), the evening, and on weekends.

The last two weekends have been quite productive.  Last weekend we made the trek to see LJ's parents and participate in the annual apple cider squeezing.  We even picked three trees of Granny Smith apples once again to prove that I'm not completely immune to manual labor.



LJ's parents also had purchased a cow, pig, and lamb from the 4-H kids at the county fair and loaded us up with all sorts of meat.  Below are pictures of everything we brought home.

Pears and Apples

More apples for drying and sauce making
 
All sorts of cuts of pork

A bag full of pork fat?  I have big plans for this.


Beef

Lamb

Four gallons of fresh cider

This weekend I turned the four gallons of fresh cider in to nearly a gallon of apple cider syrup.  LJ's parents will get a jar and one of my brothers has claimed at least one (last year he licked clean the jar I gave him).

I had a little leftover syrup that wasn't enough for a full jar to can so I put it in the fridge and used it for apple crepes on Sunday morning.



Not a bad use of time for a for a couple of weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment