Saturday, October 29, 2011

Delicata Winter Squash

Another advantage of volunteering on an organic farm, other than the occasional free vegetable that ends up in my bag, is being exposed to new foods.  We have recently been harvesting winter squash and a few people on the farm have been raving about an heirloom variety called Delicata.  I bought one from the farm to see what all the fuss was about and was not disappointed.


I took off the top and bottom of the squash and the sliced it length wise (hotdog style).  I placed it cut side down on a baking sheet and cooked for half an hour in a 350 degree oven.  When it came out I put a little butter and salt on it and that was it.  The skin is so thin (hence the name I think) that you can cut it with a fork and eat the whole thing.  If I can get my hands on another I may do the same thing and then sprinkle it with some brown sugar, broil it for a few minutes, and have it for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment