Sunday, October 30, 2011

A tradition unlike any other: Popcorn

With all my spare time I have been doing some recreational reading and recently came across Michael Perry's books.  He is an excellent storyteller and writes about his life growing up in, and now as an adult who has returned to, rural Wisconsin.

One family tradition he described in great detail was about his mother popping corn in a giant kettle on the stove every Sunday night.  It reminded me of something I'd nearly forgotten.  My family also use to often make a giant bowl of popcorn on Sunday evenings.  I think I remember the general explanation being that it was a way to reduce the amount of work that was done on a holy day.

Now LJ and I don't keep this ritual religiously (maybe because we identify mostly as agnostics), but we do find ourselves often with a bowl of popcorn, pieces of an apple, and slices of cheese as our Sunday supper.  It seems like a nice way to get extra relaxed before a new week (though really all days seems to run together when you are a house husband like me).


No comments:

Post a Comment