Thursday, October 27, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

I really, truly, dislike cold weather.  It could mostly be my dislike of the electric company and their crazy winter bills because I don't remember feeling this way when I was growing up in a house where my parents didn't mind turning on the heat.  However, one advantage of being cold, other than being able to wear my wool clothes, is having the desire to make soup.

Since I've been volunteering on the farm, I occasionally get my hands on some vegetables that aren't quite market quality and would be heading to the local food bank instead.  I was quite excited to get the two main ingredients for potato leek soup from the farm.  I just needed to pull a small package of bacon out of the freezer (LJ's parents hooked us up with some pork and lamb from animals they bought from 4-H kids at the local fair.  Seems like an excellent way to eat local and support kids) and was ready to go.


I had never worked with leeks before but they are just a tubular, mild, onion.  I cut off the roots and the green part of the stem, sliced it in half, and chopped it in to fine half circles.  I then threw them in a bowl with some cold water to let any dirt settle out. (When leeks grow it is pretty easy for dirt to get in the leaves and down in to the stem, which I guess is the disadvantage of a tubular onion.)


Most of the potatoes were small, which is why they were heading to the food bank instead of market, so I only needed to half or quarter them.  I then fried up the bacon in the bottom of my soup pot.




Once the bacon was crisp I added some butter (everything is better with bacon and butter), strained off the leeks, and added them to the pot.  While the leeks cooked I added some pepper, thyme and a couple of bay leaves.  I then added half a cup of white wine and used it to loosen up all the flavor bits that were browned on the bottom of the pan.  After that I added four cups of chicken stock, the potatoes, and simmered for about half an hour until the potatoes were soft.

At this point you could pull out the bay leaves and be done, but I have a kitchen gadget that I use any chance I get.  Originally when I bought it I thought it was a mistake and was having buyers remorse because it seemed like something that may just sit in the cupboard (like my mandolin).  However, it has been the perfect tool for soups as well as fruit jams and butters.  I, of course, am talking about my immersion blender.


 After blending the soup I added half a cup of half & half, seasoned to taste, and snipped some fresh chives on the top of each bowl.

We've already made this twice and my advice would be to use Russet potatoes, if you can, and chicken stock out of the box instead of chicken broth out of the can.  These are both things I should have known already but was reminded the second time I made the soup and it didn't quite reach the high bar that the first batch set.

No comments:

Post a Comment