Monday, February 20, 2012

Italian Dressing

After watching Forks over Knives, I have been convinced that LJ and I need to work more vegetables in to our diet.  So far this has only really involved picking up a bag or tub of salad mix on my trips to the grocery store, but it is a start.

I've realized that most salad dressings can be easily replicated or improved using a few staple ingredients so I will document our experiments in salad dressing occasionally on the blog.  I have been working to replicate the secret recipe for my Grandma M's salad dressing but it still hasn't passed the taste test of my brothers, but when it does I will pass it along.

We have been pleased with this most recent attempt at making an Italian dressing.  I like the simplicity of this recipe once you have created the seasoning mixture.  To store the dressing, we have saved a few old salad dressing bottles that we now use to mix up our own creations in.

One word of warning.  We ignored the call for canola oil in the original recipe in favor of olive oil which seemed more consistent with Italian dressing.  When we stored the leftover dressing in the refrigerator the olive oil caused the dressing to solidified.  As long as you remember to pull out your dressing ahead of time to return to room temperature you are fine using olive oil.




No comments:

Post a Comment