Monday, February 27, 2012

Oatmeal

HH has mentioned before that we don't eat boxed cereal for breakfast anymore. He rotates between English muffins, bagels, and regular muffins, while I stay true to my trusty instant oats. Not the kind of instant oats that are packaged into little paper sacks with powdered flavoring at the bottom, but the kind that come from a cardboard canister or, preferably, the bulk section at Winco. HH knows that I need a good breakfast to start my day (otherwise I tend to get very cranky and may even pass out - yes, that has actually happened before), and this definitely fits the bill.

Here's how I make my daily breakfast:

Put a kettle of water on to boil. Scoop 1/3ish cup of oats into a bowl. Sprinkle in some sugar (if using fresh berries instead of jam or honey for flavor and sweetness). Scoop a hearty spoonful of peanut butter in with the oats. Once the water is boiling, add enough to cover the oats and peanut butter (it will look very watery at this point). Walk away. Prepare lunch, get my coffee ready to go, catch up on Facebook, etc. After several minutes, check to see if the water has been absorbed by the oats, and stir it all up. Slice a small banana into the bowl. Add a little more water if needed and mash the bananas up a bit. Throw in some fresh berries, preferably blueberries or raspberries. If I don't have any berries from Teddie's Berries or gleaned from our parents' backyard, I use a spoonful of HH's jam or some honey and omit the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment