Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bagels

Finally, the long awaited post chronicling my bagel making!  Not that there has been a clamoring for a post (not even my dad has requested one) but I have alluded to making bagels in previous posts so I figured it was time.

Whenever I mention to people that I make my own bagels the typical response is something like, "Don't you have to boil those?" said with a tone of impossibility.  In the future my response will be something like, "Yes, but don't you have to boil an egg to make deviled eggs?" though I guess I don't really know how many people make those any more either.

Once you've made a loaf of bread or some pizza dough there is really nothing stopping you from making your own bagels.  The difference between homemade bagels and store bought bagels is nearly indescribable but I will try with this anecdote.  When LJ and I were visiting family over the holidays we were offered bagels for breakfast one morning.  LJ's simple response was, "Sorry, I can't eat store bought bagels after having Seth's."  High praise considering that one of her favorite breakfasts use to be a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese.

My go to bagel recipe comes from the Melinda Lee website (or maybe it is Me Linda Lee).  I have found the recipe to call for a little too much yeast for my tastes (the first batch I made tasted like fresh yeast, not bread) and usually requires a little more flour or a little less water but other than that the instructions are perfect.

A couple of tips and tricks I've picked up from making these a number of times:
  • When pulling the bagels out of the boiling pot it is helpful to get them dry before putting them on the prepared baking sheets.  I flip them over a couple of times on a dish towel and let them cool before moving them to the baking sheets.
  • Speaking of prepared baking sheets, greasing them is essential.  I tried a number of times to skip this step (to be honest I just never saw it in the instructions until I re-read them) and just coated the sheets in cornmeal.  Before I could flip the bagels half way through the cooking process they had already stuck to the pan.
  • The egg wash and sprinkling with salt are musts in my book, but I do love salt.
I have attempted making some flavored bagels (sun dried tomato, jalapeno and cheese) but honestly have found the salt/egg bagels to be the best.  I also substitute a little wheat bread flour for some additional flavor.



Rub with Crisco or butter before sprinkling on cornmeal 




Just press your thumb through to get the shape started





This is the only time my bagels have ever sunk when boiling

Make sure to get them nice and dry

This spatula is the best bagel removing tool I own


Be liberal with the egg wash and salt





1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious, after tax season I'll need to try making those. My favorite are cinnamon raisin bagels with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete