Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Slow cooker black beans

The process I followed for making this batch of black beans was pretty much the same as when I made refried beans, minus the smashing of the beans at the end.  We used the beans in tacos the first night and had the leftovers in quesadillas over following days.

I used half an onion, two cloves of garlic, four pickled peppers, and a teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder.  I also added cayenne, garlic and onion powder to taste.  This all went in the slow cooker with a cup of dried black beans (without any pre-soaking) and three cups of water (I meant to use chicken stock but already had all the liquid in the crock pot by the time I remembered).  I cooked the beans on high for about three hours and then put them on low so they wouldn't turn to mush before dinner.

The beans make for an excellent alternative to ground beef if you are looking to try out a meatless Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment