Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stuffed Squash

We've been getting so much winter squash in our CSA delivery (I guess I should have anticipated that since we signed up for a winter CSA) that I've been trying to get creative with the squash.  To be completely honest though, I haven't found a better way to eat squash than simply roasting it in the oven.  Which is a good reminder of the simple rule with vegetables, when in doubt, roast them.

I used a couple of sweet dumpling squash and stuffed them with herbs and rice.  My goal was to use only ingredients I already had in the kitchen so I used onion, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and lime to season the rice.  I cooked the rice and squash separately and then stuffed the squash with the rice mixture and placed it back in the oven to finish baking.

I enjoy all the ingredients in this recipe but didn't like how it all came together.  I would have preferred to eat the squash and rice separately.  Live and learn.

Sweet dumpling squash

Using our rice cooker to prepare the rice

Cooked the onion and garlic before adding the rice and herbs


Squash before it went back in to the oven

Covered with foil to keep moist

Served with salad

No comments:

Post a Comment