Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tomato Sauce

Pizza Saturday really only requires having a few staples around.  I try to keep a block of mozzarella in the refrigerator, dough balls and tomato sauce in the freezer so we are always prepared.  Similarly to the dough, I make tomato sauce in big batches and then keep it in the freezer for later use.

I don't follow a strict recipe when making the tomato sauce but garlic and onions are always involved, along with whatever other vegetables are available (carrots this time).  I season to taste with herbs and spices and let it cook down over a couple of hours.  I stock up on canned whole or crushed tomatoes whenever I see them on sale and use a can or two per batch.




I use fresh oregano from out herb containers (when they aren't fighting off aphids).





To make it smooth I use our immersion stick blender, though you could use a regular blender or food processor, or leave it chunky if you prefer.  We also use the sauce on pasta.


One key when making homemade pizza is not to over-sauce the pizza.  Ideally you still want to be able to see some dough below, especially if you are making a thinner crust.

We celebrated New Year's Eve with pizza and hard cider

No comments:

Post a Comment