Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Squash Lasagna

As mentioned previously, we've been receiving a lot of squash in our CSA share and I've been trying to find new ways to use it.  Since I have the ability to make fresh lasagna noodles (the noodle process is the same as for ravioli, just leave them in long sheets instead of cutting them in to strips) I decided to give squash lasagna a try.

I decided to make a sauces out of delicata and buttercup squash that I would layer with cheese and noodles to form the lasagna.  I added garlic, onion, and cream to the squash to improve the consistency and texture so it was spreadable on top of the noodles.


Cooking the onions and garlic
Roasted the squash before pureeing it with the garlic and onions
Squash mixture before the cream
Squash with the cream
Working the noodle
 
 
That is one long noodle

Cutting the noodle to the size of the baking dish
 I boiled the noodles for a few minutes before layering them in to the lasagna.

Mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese

Building the layers

Before it went in the oven

Sorry about the bright flash
I wasn't really pleased with the flavors of how this turned out.  I may have been able to improve it with additional herbs (a bunch of basil mixed in with the cheese I think would have helped) or additional garlic.  Traditionally I'm not a big lasagna fan anyway so I may have been biased even before I started.  LJ has a killer lasagna recipe that I will share in the future so keep your eyes out for that and only try this if you are a big fan of squash..

No comments:

Post a Comment