Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Buttercup ravioli

Though I have been very pleased with our winter CSA for the most part, I really am starting to wonder what to do with all this squash.  It isn't bad roasting it in the oven or sauteing it in a pan but I've been hoping to find other uses for it.  Hence this attempt at Buttercup ravioli.

I have gained an appreciation for all the varieties of winter squash even if they aren't always my favorite thing to eat.  When you are trying to eat more local ingredients you don't have a lot of other options in December and January.  Squash store incredibly well in a cool dark place and are packed full of good nutrients.  If you were trying to survive year round on only food you grew yourself you couldn't go wrong with planting a few winter squash varieties.

Sorry, I think I'm trying to convince myself of the benefits of winter squash after eating so much of it over the last month.  I wasn't totally pleased with how these turned out.  The filling seemed too sweet with the combination of caramelized onion and squash.  If I attempt them again I think I will reduce the amount of squash and replace it with a blend of cheeses.  If you have a good squash pasta recipe please let me know.



Roasted the squash

Mixed with caramelized onions


Once I had the filling I followed my basic ravioli recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment