Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pizza dough

As mentioned previously, LJ and I celebrate pizza Saturday most weekends.  We have been making homemade pizza since we were in college so we have had time to improve our technique.  I've become a fan of Wolfgang Puck's pizza dough recipe as a simple and versatile dough.  I make a full batch of dough and store the leftover dough balls in the freezer for future Saturdays.

Proofing the yeast

After mixing the dough

Dough after rising

Dividing the dough based on the desired size of pizza

Shaped dough balls resting

After second rising.  Can freeze after at this point
Rolled out dough placed on piece peel that is dusted with corn meal
At this point you can top the pizza with whatever you want (even cucumbers if you wanted to).  For a crispier crust it helps to bake the pizza on a baking stone that has been in a preheating oven for about an hour.  I usually bake our pizzas at 500 degrees for about ten minutes.  I check it after four or five minutes to see if any bubbles in the dough need to be vented with a fork or knife.


Regarding the pizza stone, you can buy one for around 50 dollars and they are well worth it if you are making lots of breads and pizzas.  I got mine for free at a flooring store where I asked if they had any unglazed quarry tiles.  When they found out what I was going to use it for, they were able to find a slate tile that was chipped on the edge and refused payment for it.  I have also read that you can find appropriate tiles at home improvement stores.  It is important to find a tile that is unglazed though so it doesn't release any chemicals in to your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment