Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Quiche

Quiche is the very first food I ever remember making completely by myself and on my own initiative, probably around 12 or 13 years old.  I realize that may sound odd (even I think it is a little weird) but my thinking was that quiche is complicated and difficult to make and if I could make it then I would be able to make anything.  I'm assuming I was having these thoughts as a way to show my independence or maturity but it was an odd way to build confidence.  It would have made much more sense if I tried a few more simple recipes to build skills first.

My first quiche experience stunted my culinary growth because it felt like a complete and utter failure.  It wasn't that quiche is difficult to make but that I made a poor decision on what ingredients to include in the quiche.  The recipe I was using called for Swiss cheese, which I hate, but I felt bound to the recipe.  Now with a few years of cooking experience I realize that recipes are a guide and a learning tool.

Once you understand the basics with quiche you can add anything you like in to the mix.  We have used turkey, bacon, ham, sausage, broccoli, potatoes, asparagus, and green beans all at different times.  The only ingredients common to every quiche we have made so far have been onions, cheese, and eggs.

For ideas or recipes you can start here.

Cubed frozen butter

Crust ingredients

Pulsing butter to create crust

Adding water to crust until it comes together

Crust ball

Bacon was the first filling ingredient

Caramelized onions

Shaped crust

After blind baking

Added filling ingredients

Mix eggs and dairy to fill the crust

Sprinkling extra cheese on top never hurts

Perfect for leftover lunches

No comments:

Post a Comment