Thursday, December 29, 2011

Apple Cider Syrup

Sometimes you have a food that you've never had before and it completely blows your mind.  Not because it tastes so good, even though it is excellent, but because you wonder why you never have experienced it before.  As someone who grew up near a place that claims to be the Apple Capital of the World, this is how I felt after sampling my first batch of apple cider syrup.

First a bit of back story.  Every fall LJ's parents host an apple cider making gathering after they have finished their harvest.  Friends come from all over for a wild weekend that includes a fair bit of drinking and a little bit of apple squeezing.

Pa, GFOTB, helping with the cider making

It is hard not to be all smiles when carrying fresh apple cider
The only real dilemma with cider making is that it only stays fresh in the refrigerator for about a week before it starts to go bad.  We keep a few gallons in our freezer but each one takes up quite a lot of space so I was delighted when this recipe for apple cider syrup was posted to one of my favorite food blogs.

The process for converting the cider to syrup couldn't be easier, though I found the time needed to cook the cider down to be much longer than what the recipe suggested.  I also ended up with closer to 2 cups than 3 so my cider may have contained more water than what was used in the initial recipe.


Boiled down with cinnamon sticks

Reduced syrup with sugar added

Hard to see but it is getting close to 218 degrees

4 finished half pints

A little extra syrup for sampling
I mixed the leftover syrup with some hot water and honey and it made for an excellent warm drink in the middle of winter.  I know what I'm doing next year with all the fresh cider I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment