Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pumpkin Seeds

While I was figuring out what to do with the sugar pumpkins that came in our CSA box, I came across a recipe for toasted pumpkin seeds.  I remember making pumpkin seeds growing up, and since I love anything salty, so I decided to give them a shot.


After separating the seeds from the gunk inside the pumpkin I washed the seeds and then put them in a pot of salted water to boil for ten minutes.


Boiling the seeds in the brine is a key step.  I've attempted to make pumpkin seeds the last couple of years with very little success but I always forgot the boiling step.  Also sugar (or pie) pumpkin seeds are much better for toasting or roasting than the Halloween pumpkins that are used for carving.


I tossed the boiled seeds in olive oil and Johnny's seasoning salt and spread them on a baking sheet.  I placed the sheet in a hot oven and checked on the seeds every five minutes to give them a quick stir until they were nicely toasted.


I did make one mistake with these seeds.  I made them around lunch time so that when they came out of the oven I nearly ate the entire tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment