Monday, December 19, 2011

Boys' Shirts

Now that I am on winter break for the next two weeks (hurrah for working in the schools!), I have had a chance to finish up my holiday sewing projects. I have been accumulating quite a bit of flannel yardage in my fabric stash recently, and when I found a vintage little boy's shirt pattern at a local antique shop I decided to make some shirts for two very awesome little boys.


This was my first time making clothes for kids so I really didn't have a proper sense of proportion when cutting and assembling the first shirt. I adjusted the pattern down a little bit but forgot to scale down the size of other details, as illustrated by the overpowering pocket on the red version. I am also worried that the fit will be a little off especially in the sleeves since I didn't scale them down like I probably should have.


On the shirts I have made for HH in the past, the sleeve plackets (the opening at the cuff) have always been wimpy and unable to really hold up well to the buttonholes and buttons that should be there to hold the placket closed. After seeing this post, I decided to try to draft my own pattern piece for a different type of placket that would be sturdier and better looking. I think the pattern piece needs some tweaking but I am glad I gave this type of placket a try, and intend to make a larger version for the shirts I make HH in the future.



Overall I am happy with these two shirts and hope they get some good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment