Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wool Blazer

I like wool. I also like jackets that I can wear to work that make me look not too casual when I wear them to work with jeans on Fridays. I suppose I also like "young contemporary fashion" which must have drawn me to this pattern that looks like it came from the 1970s (?). I have never sewn a notched collar before, so I wanted to give it a try with this basic jacket pattern.


I definitely need some practice with this type of collar, in particular where the collar meets the lapel. My first attempt looks a little sloppily rounded off instead of precisely angular as it should be. Next time I will follow along with a tutorial to help guide me. I also want to shape the collar a little differently but that will be an easy fix.


The two buttons on this jacket were recently found at an estate sale/yard sale event at a retirement community nearby. The lining, which I understitched like a good sewist, is leftover fabric from the dress I made for my sister's wedding. There was just barely enough.


Overall the jacket is a little big which I will correct in my next version since I don't tend to make muslins (or practice garments) like a good sewist would. Now I just have to decide which wool to use next.


No comments:

Post a Comment