Saturday, November 5, 2011

English Muffins

A number of years ago LJ and I gave up on breakfast cereal.  Not because we don't like breakfast cereal (we love it!), but the milk we bought for our cereal was always going bad before we could use it all.  We switched to oatmeal for awhile but I couldn't stand the texture after a few months.  LJ adds a spoonful of peanut butter and a banana to her bowl each morning and seems to be doing fine without the Cheerios but I had to try something else.

I now rotate breakfast foods by making big batches of muffins or bagels and then pulling one out of the freezer each morning.  I recently added English muffins to the rotation and couldn't be happier about it.

I've tried a few different recipes and have settled on Alton Brown's recipe, mostly because it is very simple.  So simple in fact that I'd even say if you can make pancakes, you can make English muffins.  The only additional thing you might need are some English muffin rings (which can also be made out of old tuna cans with the top and bottom cut out).

I won't walk you through the recipe since you can follow the link.

Pre-rise dough 
post-rise dough

Greased griddle and rings

I scooped a quarter cup in to each ring

After flipping I removed the rings to start the next set

Cool the muffins before storing in the freezer

Toasted with homemade blackberry jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment