Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chili con carne

Even though it technically isn't winter yet, it sure is feeling like it.  I decided to make a batch of chili in the attempt to fight of the chilliness outside.  I have found making chili to be pretty forgiving so I don't measure any ingredients.  There really is only one rule, which my dad taught me when he use to make batches: Taste it often, because it almost always needs more cumin.  

People who have never made chili before often think the only spice that is needed is chili powder.  However, cumin is a must.  I also added garlic and onion powder, along with salt to taste.

I used a cup each of dried kidney and pinto beans

Chopped garlic, peppers, and onion

Started the cooking with the ground beef.  I've also heard bacon is good to add at this stage.

Added the vegetables with a a can of diced tomatoes.

Add the beans, spices, and broth to cover.

Cooked over medium low for 4-6 hours.
Depending on what consistency you like your chili, you have a few different options for how you finish it.  I usually blend some of the beans with a food processor or immersion blender to thicken the liquid.  You can also add corn starch to some of the liquid.  If you like it thin you can eat it as is.

Served with sour cream, cheese, and corn bread

I don't know how to make a small batch of chili, or at least not smaller than I made for this post.  That is fine though because it stores well in the freezer and it works great for lunch a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment