Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cabbage Salad

LJ and I were invited to a potluck and I wasn't sure what to bring.  We had a head of savoy cabbage in the fridge from our CSA share so I did some quick Googling for a cabbage salad recipe.  This recipe was the first to come up and very highly rated so I decided to give it a try.


I chopped up a package of ramen noodles along with a cup of almonds.  I didn't have any sesame seeds so I excluded them from the recipe.  I mixed the nuts and noodles with melted butter and then baked them in the oven, stirring often until brown and crispy.
  

I let the nuts and noodles cool while I moved on to the dressing.  I mixed all the dressing ingredients together and heated them to a boil.  After they boiled for a minute I allowed the mixture to cool and transferred it to a dressing jar.


One of the best things about this recipe is that I was able to do most of the prep work a few days ahead of time.  I packed up all the ingredients on the day of the party and was able to chop the cabbage and green onion right before the food was served.


This was incredibly easy to make and created a huge salad.  I'd highly recommend it for any large gathering.

1 comment:

  1. I've made a very similar dressing, and it's very good. Rice vinegar instead of cider vinegar and didn't boil the dressing (although it would help the sugar dissolve, so I might consider that in the future). Also, I toss it a few hours ahead of time so that the cabbage has time to soak up the dressing a little and then put the crunchies on when serving. Glad you found a recipe you liked! -Keisha

    ReplyDelete