Monday, April 23, 2012

Brownies

In high school I had a friend who took the cinnamon challenge before it was popular to try such a thing.  It wasn't even really a challenge when he did it.  We walked in to our home-ec class and he saw a bottle of cinnamon on the counter that we were going to be using in class that day.  He said, "Oh I love cinnamon," walked over to the bottle, and dumped some in his mouth.  He then paused for a moment and then ran over to the sink to spit it out.  He then turned on the faucet, stuck his tongue under the stream of water, and used his fingers to try to scrape the cinnamon off his tongue.

I was reminded of this experience while making brownies from scratch for the first time ever.  I usually use a brownie mix box but after reviewing the recipe I realized we had everything on hand already and I was craving some dessert.


The picture above is after I mixed the cocoa powder, baking soda, boiling water, and vegetable oil together.  Looks delicious doesn't it?  That is what I thought so I dipped my finger in and had a taste.  I quickly realized there was no sugar, butter, or anything remotely good tasting mixed in yet.  Lesson learned.

The brownies turned out pretty well but weren't as gooey as I had hoped.  If I try them again I may melt in some dark chocolate or throw some chocolate chips in before they go in to the oven.





I packed up a container so LJ could take them to work with her and share them with her co-workers.  That helped me avoid eating the whole tray.


No comments:

Post a Comment