Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Apple Tart

While LJ was on spring break we made a trip to visit her parents and, as usual, scored a ton of fruit.  Part of what we took home was a half box of Granny Smith apples that had seen better days.  LJ's dad warned us that if we didn't take them the apples would be tossed in the orchard the next day for the local deer to enjoy.

When we got back I dried most of the apples but saved a few to bake with.  After some Googling LJ suggested that I make an apple tart and use Ina Garten's recipe.  Considering that she is one of the TV food personalities I trust and the recipe has over 250 reviews with nearly all of the reviews giving the full five stars, I felt confident in the recipe.

The recipe is straight forward and no trouble if you've made a tart dough before, like for a quiche.  As long as you have a food processor a tart dough is really easy.  Just try to forget how much butter goes in to it when you are eating it later.

The only real problem I had with making this tart was that we don't own a jelly roll pan.  I tried to bake the tart on a rimless cookie sheet but as the butter melted it pulled the sugar off the apples and burned on the bottom of the oven.  Shortly after making this tart we found a jelly roll pan at an estate sale so I won't have this problem in the future.  I could have also compensated by making a more rustic tart instead.

The final result was delicious and provided dessert for most of the following week.








No comments:

Post a Comment