Monday, April 9, 2012

Nacho Cheese Sauce

This recipe came together out of desperation to eat something not so good for me and a limited number of ingredients in the house.  Since we had tortilla chips on the counter my mind went straight to making nachos but instead of just melting shredded cheese on the chips I decided to try making a cheese sauce to pour of the chips (because it sounded even worse for me).

Making a cheese sauce is a pretty straight forward process (similar to making Alfredo or sausage gravy) but since we don't use milk regularly there wasn't any in the house.  Luckily I keep a small container of powdered milk in the pantry for making English muffins and sandwich bread.  By mixing a third of a cup of the powdered milk with a cup of water I was ready to make some nacho cheese sauce.


I melted a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and then added two tablespoons of flour to create a roux.


After the roux cooked for about five minutes I added the milk.


I finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese in to the sauce until it was the flavor and consistency I was looking for. If you enjoy your nachos on the spicy side you could easily add hot sauce or cayenne pepper near the end of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment