Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Patty Pan Quiche

After wondering what we were going to do with 4 pounds of Patty Pan squash from our CSA last week a friend with her own CSA (and her own plethora of Patty Pan) mentioned seeing a recipe for hollowing out the squash and cooking an egg inside for breakfast.

I found this recipe and tweaked it to my own preferences.  I also found that I needed to bake the squash longer for it to be soft enough, though I may have not hollowed it out enough in the beginning.



Luckily I had an extra squash because in the hollowing out process I got a little over ambitious with the first one and put a hole in the bottom.  I was more gentle with the next two.


Since all breakfast is better with bacon I fried up a few pieces to crumble inside and then sauteed the onions in the bacon fat.



After stuffing the squash with the bacon and onion mixture I topped them with eggs.  I scrambled my egg and left LJ's whole for a comparison.


You can see I overfilled each squash so the egg came out over the top as it cooked




If I were to do this again, I would also add a little cheese with the bacon and onions and scramble all the eggs.  It would also be helpful to have a grapefruit spoon to take out the sides of the squash.  Overall it was pretty good and a nice way to get some vegetables in for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment