Monday, March 5, 2012

BLAT!!

Growing up it was common for my family to eat BLTs once a week in the summer.  The BLT was the perfect delivery device for the home grown tomatoes that were always in abundance in the garden.  I joked recently that in our house growing up that the only appropriate side dish for a BLT was a second BLT.  We even had a standing rule while making BLTs that if you took bread out of the toaster to make yourself a sandwich that you needed to start two more pieces of bread toasting because someone else would be wanting another sandwich soon.

When I was living at home I didn't have a strong appreciation for the home grown tomato, probably because they were the only tomato I knew and didn't realize how boring and bland a store bought tomato could be until I bought one for myself many years later in an attempt to make BLTs.

In the winter when I'm craving a BLT I have to dress it up a little bit to make up for the disappointing tomato flavor.  Fortunately, every year around the Super Bowl produce sections are flooded with avocados with the expectation that every party will have some dip.  I rescued one of these unsuspecting avocados to suppliment my winter BLT making and was able to create a BLAT (most restaurants that have this on the menu will call it a BLTA).

No real recipe to share here since it is just making a sandwich (though don't forget the mayo since it isn't in the  handy acronym).  I also used some sandwich bread that I had recently made which makes every sandwich 15% better in my opinion.  Hopefully this holds me over until tomatoes are in season.


No there weren't four people dining, we were just following house rules on appropriate side dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment