Friday, March 16, 2012

Russian Dressing

LJ came through with some excellent kitchen inspired birthday gifts for me recently.  She made a trip to the local restaurant supply store and got me a few things that I had been coveting.  If you are looking for some well priced kitchen tools, equipment, or canisters I highly recommend checking out a restaurant supply store.


The metal spatula was something I'd been looking for to use when cooking in cast iron pans.  The shaker works perfect for holding flour in so that I can dust the counter or cookie sheets when I am baking.  The squeeze bottle is multi-functional but mostly will be used for sauces and dressings.


I decided to put together a bottle of homemade Russian dressing.  I wasn't super excited to use the bottle of lemon juice because I dislike chemical flavor it adds (I keep it around for the canning I do when a recipe needs more acid to make it safe to can), but I didn't have any fresh lemons around.  I used honey instead of sugar, onion powder instead of grated onion, and omitted the celery seeds (because I didn't have any) but other than that I stuck to the recipe, which really just involves whisking everything together.



The recipe made a perfect bottle full so I was able to use it to dress our salads.  The bottle allows for much better distribution than just pouring the dressing out of the mixing bowl.  Dinner was made up of salad and LJ's delicious asparagus risotto.


No comments:

Post a Comment