Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sorbetto Top: First Draft

Currently I'm in the middle of a BIG sewing project for some friends. Every so often, though, I feel the need to make something for myself. I'm on schedule with the big project, so little me-projects sprinkled in every now and again are allowed.

One of the sewing blogs that I follow offered up a free pattern download last year, which was something I couldn't pass up. I have been looking for shirt patterns that I can use for work, and this looked like the perfect thing to wear under a cardigan, which is part of my standard work attire. HH was kind enough to walk the short distance to our friendly neighborhood public library and printed the pattern for me. It took some cutting and assembling with tape, but it was free so I'm not complaining.


I used some cotton quilting fabric that had been given to me by a neighbor of my parents. I liked the look of the wrong side of the fabric because it was slightly faded and more subtle. I didn't realize until after it was cut out that it has a funky white line right across the chest, though.

There is a box pleat down the front, and the edges are finished with bias tape.

The pattern doesn't call for elastic in the back, but I much prefer the more fitted look that it gives. Otherwise, the shirt is boxy and not very flattering on me at all, especially in the somewhat stiff cotton fabric. In a more drape-y fabric I think it would be fine.


After finishing up, I decided to adjust the neckhole a tiny bit to make the straps wider and sit a little higher on my shoulders for next time. Overall, it's a super simple project that I was able to finish in just a couple hours. I will definitely be making more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment